Courtney Milan - Unveiled

Unveiled (Mills & Boon M&B) - Courtney Milan

This must be the only historical romance whose hero’s great weakness is his extreme dyslexia.

It was fairly well-paced and hot but we ultimately didn’t get along because of three themes existing in this novel, that I am not a fan of.

- ‘From the first moment he knew she was the one’: this meant to be and love from the first sight crap is just not for me. If you tell me on page one that he knew she was the one, then you don’t have to really build your characters and their relationship with each other because their fate is sealed. God, I know it is a romance novel and they will overcome all and be together in the end, I get that but convince me why they should!

- Hero who loves his heroine unfailingly from the first to the last page, not once doubting himself or her. It’s just boring. Give me hate, give me angst, give me indifference at least. I prefer when it’s the heroine who needs to do the work to win the hero’s heart because I have enough of men who are blindly in love with me in the real life, thank you very much.

- Heroine who needs her hero to validate her as a person. Now, I don’t mind my heroine a little damaged, even completely broken in the area of romantic relationships but I want her to be strong and secure in all the other spheres of her life. I want her to need the guy just for love and not to basically make her into a person. This whole thing in ‘Unveiled’ where the hero tells the heroine that ‘she matters, she is important’ and it causes her some epiphany that yes, in fact she is a human being and not a doormat, rubbed me the wrong way. Also, I found her behaviour to be inconsistent with her supposed personality. (Given her doormat-like qualities she should make a great servant that she is pretending to be, yet even though everything depends on her playing that role this is the only time she decides to shows some signs of having some cojones which would totally blow her cover if the hero wasn’t so daft /so much for his famed ‘instincts’/)

All of this probably tells you more about me than about the book. I guess, I do like to have the same story told to me over and over again. I just couldn’t fall in love with the hero. I found his seduction technique crass, he was just a creepy stalker really (but what to expect from a guy who from the first moment ‘knew’) and, I suppose, I prefer my men literate. However, I did enjoy the theme of loyalty conflict in ‘Unveiled’.