Wiesław Kot - Polskie Dekady. Kronika Naszych Czasów 1950-1990

I don’t have much to say about this book, except that if you speak Polish and you’re interested in anything that happened in Poland between 1950 and 1990, you should read it.

It is a beautiful album divided by decades and then with a separate section for everything from politics and economy to literature, film, fashion, food, sport and everyday life.

I read it as a part of the never ending research for my novel and it was extremely useful. I have already corrected a few factual errors, like for example what song they played on the radio on the 13th of December 1981 at 6 am, just before General Jaruzelski announced the introduction of Martial Law. In my book it was classical music but it turned out that they played the National Anthem.

Or the fact that private people could not refuel their cars between 13th of December 1981 and January 31, 1982, which made a certain scene in my novel impossible.

It also gave me a lot of information on what clothes people wore, what music they listened to or what food they ate.

The book took forever to read because almost every page would send me to google to find out more, whether it was to watch a mix of songs by Karin Stanek:

or old Polish documentaries with anti-American propaganda:

or read more about Irena Szewińska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irena_Szewi%C5%84ska) .

Do read this book and if you don’t speak Polish you can always look at the pictures, there are plenty.