Anne W. Abbot - Autumn Leaves: Original Pieces in Prose and Verse

Autumn Leaves: Original Pieces in Prose and Verse - Abbot Anne W. (Anne Wales) 1808-1908

Before I begin I would like to announce that I will not be doing my Self-published Project anymore, because I just cannot wade through those rivers of crap. Yes, I have been defeated. There very well might be a real masterpiece hidden but I will leave it for the professionals to discover. I think this is why we still need agents, and publishers - to weed out all the junk.

Instead, I am going to double up my efforts on the Gutenberg Project Project and hopefully I will get to B before I turn 80.

So here it is, as it says on the cover: Original Pieces in Prose and Verse. If I understood the preface correctly, they are not all written by Anne W. Abbot but collected by her from friends and family and were published to raise money for charity. Anne Wales Abbot was (as Wikipedia tells me) a game designer, magazine editor, literary reviewer, and author, who went down in history for writing a negative review of 'The Scarlet Letter' and inventing a card game called Dr Busby (you can buy a vintage set on auctions at $200-$400, I really want one, please note).

As for Autumn Leaves, the most interesting pieces in it are the so called 'Miseries', in today's English known as 'First World Problems'. It's a series of articles about different problems and annoyances. My favourite one talks about the difficulty of eating a peach elegantly. There are also ones about people who constantly open windows even though it's really cold outside, all sorts of strings that always become entangled and not being able to see well in the dark and bumping into things.

There are also a few more serious short stories and a bunch of rubbish poems.

If you would like to read the bit about the peach, it is here:http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17189/171...

Also a very funny piece about 'Innocent Surprises' - "I am somewhat inclined to the opinion, that, if positive legislation could be brought to bear upon this subject, making it a criminal offence for one person deliberately to concoct and designedly to spring a surprise upon another, society would derive incalculable benefit from the act. For the ordinary and inevitable surprises of every-day life are sufficiently frequent and startling to content even the most romantic disposition; entirely dispensing with the necessity of those artfully contrived, embarrassing little plots which one's friends occasionally set in motion, greatly to their own diversion and the extreme discomfort of the surprised unfortunate.". Find the whole thing here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17189/171...

(Although, I admit I do like surprises, cough*Dr Busby*cough)