Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Infidel

Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Ayaan Hirsi Ali said that Islam as a religion was backward. And for that some Muslims want to kill her, apparently the Qur'an says they should. Am I the only one that thinks this is proving her point??

Anyway, lots of reviewers say she is biased, and doesn't paint the TRUE picture of Islam. Well, of course, she is biased. It's her autobiography. She will say what she thinks. She was born Muslim, lived in two countries where Islam was official religion including Saudi Arabia (it doesn't get more Muslim than this), lived in Muslim communities in countries were Muslims were a minority, yet I am supposed to believe that she knows less about Islam than some Western protestants who read a few articles in Newsweek that said that Islam was all about peace.

They will only say nice things about Islam, you know, in the name of tolerance, freedom and cultural relativism. But to be honest with you, I am not buying it. Just how many people are doing it in the name of tolerance and how many people are doing in fear of some fanatic coming and blowing himself up at their doorstep?

That's my biggest problem with Islam. It doesn't leave room for any discussion or critism. Even the most fossilized and dogmatic European religion, my beloved Catholicism, is a million times more open to discussion.

So this is my final conclusion, it doesn't matter whether I agree or disagree with what Ayan Hirsi Ali said. It doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not. She should be allowed to say it without facing death threats afterwards, you know, in the name of tolerance and freedom.

There is more to this book of course, it is a beautiful and gripping memoir of a very brave and determined woman but I really just wanted to focus on this one aspect in my review.