Broome Saunderman - Trust Fund Drug Den - Young, Rich, And Confused in Pre-Recession Manhattan

Trust Fund Drug Den - Young, rich, and confused in pre-Recession Manhattan - Broome Saunderman

This is another project to do with my lovely Kindle. The popularity of ebook readers have brought on an avalanche of self-published literature. Many argue that 'literature' is an overstatement in this case, and I decided to see if it is true. Just how bad exactly are all these self published books? Will I suddenly discover a real gem?

Every now and then I am going to read an absolutely random self-published novel that I can find for cheap on my kindle and here is the review of my first adventure.

While I didn't strike gold the first time round, I didn't end up breaking a waste pipe either. 'Trust Fund Drug Den' is a fairly decent effort. It is a novella about a young gay boy and his life in New York as a flatmate of another gay boy but a rich and unbelievably spoiled one. As you can imagine the thoroughly rotten Andre drags our narrator downwards.

The opening scene is very good but then for a while it seems like the book doesn't know where it is going. It eventually finds its way and becomes quite engaging and convincing, however the scene leading up to the climax needs some working on because flat. Generally it seems like it is work in progress, it could easily be turned into a real novel (Rather than a novella).

Of course, there are the usual things: spelling mistakes and some clumsy writing like:

"With their deaths, everything changed and many things stayed the same." Huh?

"The dining car of the Metrolines sways just enough to spill coffee onto the standing table at which I am drinking coffee and eating an egg sandwich."

"I return to my room and put on flip-flops before myself showering."

Don't worry, it is not all that bad. But why, oh, why is the whole thing in the present tense?

And then there is of course the God awful cover and a God awful subtitle ('Young, Rich and Confused in pre-Recession Manhttan' ? Please don't).

All in all, Broome Saunderman should just take it home and rewrite it, pump it up and pitch it to an agent.