Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London

Rivers of London  - Ben Aaronovitch

"Rivers of London" is an urban fantasy but It isn't the plot that keeps this whole thing together. You might almost think that the plot was an afterthought in Ben Aaronovitch's mind. The blurb on the cover promised this book to be some sort of grown up Harry Potter. But Harry Potter it ain't. The plot lacks discipline and coherence. The world is not fully fleshed out. In almost 400 pages the author seems to have only scratched the surface. He showed us some magic, hinted that there is a whole world out there of things we can't even imagine but closed the door shut when we wanted to know more.

Out of all the characters only two come to life on the pages. First is the narrator, Peter Grant, a young constable who one day sees a ghost and his life is never the same again. He gets assigned to the small unit in Metropolitan Police - the wizardry unit. And just as well, as he was already on his way to be come a professional 'paper pusher' within the Case Progression Unit. I hardly ever have crushes on fictional characters but I made an exception for Peter Grant. He was just so smart, cool, funny, a little nerdy, sometimes a hero, a little like Spiderman, and I imagined him to look like Drake. What's not to love?

The second character that has been given a lot of tender care and attention by Aaronovitch is London itself. The past, the present, all the flavours and smells - it shows London as it really is. I recognised in this London the city I live in. Except, of course, for the vampires, ghosts, and river gods.

In general, despite its shortcomings, I would recommend 'Rivers of London' and I might, just might read the next book in the series. Mostly because I love Drake so much.