Lisa Leslie - Don't Let The Lipstick Fool You

Don't Let The Lipstick Fool You - Lisa Leslie, Larry Burnett

All I needed to enjoy this book was to remind myself I wasn't reading it for literary value. It makes no pretense of being a Pulitzer candidate. It's a reasonably well told story about determination, sportsmanship and the rewards that come with it.

Lisa Leslie won everything you can win in the basketball world and she won it many times over. Now, how can you write an autobiography honestly listing all your seemingly endless achievements without sounding like a arrogant prick? Leslie's solution to this dilemma is to give props to everyone that helped her along the way as well as to thank Jesus. I am not much of a Jesus person, so that was of little interest to me, but I liked her 'grace under pressure' attitude and her resolution to always stay classy (even if she admits to the times she failed at that).

The title is all about the problem that many female athletes have - how to be viewed as a strong, competitve, successful athlete and a feminine and sexy woman, when these two notions appear to exclude one another. I wouldn't say I am much into basketball (not counting my bizarre obsession with the film 'Love & Basketball'). The closest I have been to the game was when I was dating a few pro basketball players (not simultaneously!) - the relationships that ultimately failed because we were not on the same level (I am 5'3"). Despite that, I could relate to this 'female athlete' conundrum. Try wearing boxing gloves, shin guards, mouth guard, get punched in the face and handle it like a lady.

PS. The love story at the end - freaking cute!